Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A weakness...

Bookstores!!! I love books!!!! Liz sent me this link and I must share it. Here are some magnificent magical literary havens declared to be of the World's 6 Best Bookstores by Spot Cool Stuff.com...


Shakespeare & Co Antiquarian Bookstore in Paris, France

Livraria Lello in Porto, Portugal

The El Ateneo bookstore in Buenos Aires

Selexyz Dominicanen Bookstore in Maastricht, Netherlands

And to add one of my own...last summer while in California my fabulous friend, Jennifer, introduced me to Bart's Books in Ojai. It's an amazing outdoor used bookstore. They boast a incredible selection including some very rare books but the best part is the atmosphere. The books are protected from the elements by awnings over the shelves giving the place an open market feeling of freedom. The walls encircle a small house that has themed rooms with books cleverly categorized by their location. For example, the kitchen is full of cookbooks and the study full of history books. The outside of the wall available to the public 24 hours has books by donation where the new adoptive parent tosses the money over the wall to be collected the next day.


Photos via bartsbooksojai.com

And lastly, I would like to remember a bookstore that will always be in my heart, Acorn Books located on Ninth St in Columbia, MO. It closed in 2007 but I will never forget it. A quaint little store full of so much magic. When you entered you were greeted by a kindly couple. You quickly disappeared into the narrow pathways between tall shelves. From there you were up the wooden stairs to the loft or down into the cold hidden nook....I usually found myself there, in the art section, next to the toilet. I hope all the best for Ken and his darling wife, may they find another place to share their magic with the world.

No comments: